November 2010 - Howse that?

mardler
Site Admin

November 2010 - Howse that?

Post by mardler »

Hello, everybody. Hope you had a good month. It's been eventful for me. I finally bid goodbye to my colleagues in the UK and the company for which I have worked for in six countries over 23 years. And I consequently returned to my family home in the US in time for Thanksgiving, a real family occasion over here.

Northamptonshire
It's been a good month for building the database. We have added 1,700 people so that as of tonight we have just over 32,000. This was mainly due to Mike who sent in a single file covering almost 1,200 descendents of the Howes clan in Woodford Halse, Northamptonshire. Thank you. This family is now one of the largest groups of connected people in our file and raises the profile of that county substantially in our clan's overall presence.

That profile will be raised still further in the next few weeks as just in the past 24 hours we have received permission to publish a history of the Howes family of Kings Cliffe from almost the other end of the county.

Learnings
Funny the things you learn from studying a family name. For example:
- What is Coprolite?
I didn't know either. It's fossilized dinosaur dung! It is found in England in a line South from West Norfolk down through Suffolk and Cambridgeshire to Bedfordshire and a few other places. In the last few weeks I found a man called Moses Howes who mined it. It was ground up and used as a fertilizer due to its high phosphate content. Given the distribution of the rock, I expect we will find other "copperlite miners" with our name too.
- There is a new web browser being released this month, called RockMelt, that integrates social networking fully into the browser. It's designed by a Tim Howes. If you have youngsters in your family or you're into social networking, check it out!

Finding other HOWESes/HOUSEs/HOWSEs and HOWSes
After my note of last month, another correspondent, John, came up with an idea: some of us work for large companies and have access to staff directories. Are there any others of us, even in different countries, who work for your company. Could you write to them and ask them if they are interested or can contribute more information?

Using the Bulletin Board
I paste monthly updates to the Board and I know many people do read it! Feel free to post there too if you would like to ask questions or post helpful items, like adding to our list of places named after people with our name. You will need to register separately, however, because although it looks like it's integrated, it's actually a separate piece of software and my programming skills don't extend to creating a single-sign on across both. Signing on is simple and generally will not create any additional emails.

All the best for the holiday season, be you warm or cold, sunny or snowy, or like most of us, I suspect: just plain damp, dark and chilly!
Regards
Paul
phowes7@yahoo.com

Re: November 2010 - Howse that?

Post by phowes7@yahoo.com »

HI Paul,

Welcome back. If I remember correctly you live in Conn. now? Wondering if you have any info about the Howes Reunion in Salem, MA this year.

Paul Arthur Howes
Boston, MA
mardler
Site Admin

Re: November 2010 - Howse that?

Post by mardler »

Hello (other) Paul. I live in New Jersey now. I'm afraid I only just saw your message and I don't have any details about the next HFA reunion. I will ask CuzAl to post them here.
Regards and happy new year
Paul