July 2011 - Howse that?

mardler
Site Admin

July 2011 - Howse that?

Post by mardler »

Happy new month everyone. It's onward and upward for us in our quest to be the resource for people named House, Howes, Hows and Howse worldwide.

Pictures
For three years we have been asked whether we would put pictures online. We deferred in favour of adding more information to the database but now we have a new person on our team, Mike Twinn, who has volunteered to put pictures online for us. So, if you have any individual pictures of individuals in our database which you would like us to add, please send them to Mike at:
photos at howesfamilies.com with a copy to mike at the-twinns.co.uk - I'm sure you can figure out how the emails work!

Ideally your photos should be JPG files with a length along the long side of 600px. Individual shots are best. Group shots are OK too, except that we can't easily set up a way to identify who is who, I'm afraid.

Good luck and thank you in advance, Mike.

England and Wales marriage index
We have just compiled a single list of all 24,000 marriages of people with our name in England and Wales between the years of 1837, when national records began, and 1950. The list is available and searchable at http://www.one-name.org/archives/howes.html. Scottish marriages are there also.

Why is this important or helpful? Well, as we have seen before, the spelling of our name varies a lot. This list is searchable using given names only. For example, I couldn't find the marriage of a particular William Howes but using this database could easily find that his name was recorded as Hows on his marriage certificate.

Unfortunately, the Guild of One Name Studies website is being rebuilt after a failure last week and searches work only up to 1940 at present. I will fix that once the Guild has fixed their site.

Raw numbers
We added a much more reasonable 1,500 people into the database last month and now stand at 46,300, close enough for the website to say “almost 50,000”! We also surpassed 350 people registered on the site in the past month.

Besthorpe
Does your Howes family hail from Besthorpe in Norfolk? Do you have a male Howes relative who might be willing to take a DNA test? This family, already one of the larger families in our database, may have a link to the family of Thomas Howes and Mary Burr who emigrated to the US in 1637 and we are anxious to check out that link.

Ephemera
Remember a couple of months back I noted that we had three individuals named George Washington House, all Londoners by the way? Well, I happened to notice a few days ago that our database also contains a John Major House and a John George Bush House!

Happy summer, if you're in the Northern hemisphere. We have sunshine here in Norfolk for the first time in over a week and I'm off sailing again!
Paul