February 2011 - Howes that?

mardler
Site Admin

February 2011 - Howes that?

Post by mardler »

I'm sending this month-end update out a little early as I have a busy few days of meetings ahead. Last minute, I know, but if anyone in the UK is going to the Who DoYou Think You Are exhibition tomorrow, you will find me at the Guild of One-Name Studies booth from time to time. Do come and say, "Hi."

Progress
We've added very nearly 2,000 new people into the database this month and now stand within a whisker of 36,700 people. I'm still amazed at how much we have done. Thanks to everyone who sends in files, additional details and corrections to our file. It gets better every day.

More poker hands
A couple of months ago, we found the first individual with all four name variants of our name in various records during his life. He actually had a “full HOUSE” (!) because he was referred to as HOW on one census as well. This month we found two more people with all four variants. They were Charles and Edmund Howes/Hows/Howse/House from Scarborough, though their father was from Gloucestershire. Finding these people is further proof of our decision to add House in to our study two years or so ago.

Cawston, Norfolk
Do you have ancestors from this village, Howes or otherwise? If so, do get in touch. A correspondent, Peter from Essex in England has unearthed some fascinating documents. A George Howes was sentenced to 14 years transportation in 1831 for breaking threshing machines as part of the Swing Riots across England. He had a young family and the local villagers drew up a petition against his sentence. They were not successful, but the original documents remained on file in the Public Records Office in Kew to be unearthed by Peter some 180 years later. The document has original signatures from many villagers including the farmers whose machines were broken. At least three of them are ancestors of mine. Perhaps yours are there too.

Unusual occupation
During the month, we found one individual referred to as a “motor car doctor”! Can you use the search facility on the site to find him? Hint: click on “ADVANCED SEARCH” and then on the little triangle at the bottom left . . .

Public sector cuts
Many local authorities in the UK and beyond provide people with free online access to various databases using their library cards. One very useful such database is that of the collection of 19th century British newspapers. As the public sector in the UK and beyond feels the effect of cuts, it's quite likely that this free access will disappear. So use it now!

Have a great month, everyone.
Paul