Finding a person

mardler
Site Admin

Finding a person

Post by mardler »

The search facility at the top left of the home page is quite flexible. Try inputting Howes under last name and Thomas B under first name. You should find this:
1 Howes, Thomas Baron b. Abt 1869 Warboys, Huntingdonshire I06390 Norfolk families
2 Howes, Thomas Baron b. Abt 1876 Warboys, Huntingdonshire I06394 Norfolk families
3 Howes, Thomas Benjamin b. 07 Jan 1828 St Augustine's, Norwich, Norfolk I00125 Norfolk families
4 Howes, Thomas Benjamin b. 03 Mar 1848 Dog & Bitch Yard, St Martin at Oak, Norwich, Norfolk I00112 Norfolk families

Click on any one of the names and go straight to the person's record. Point of the example is that you do not have to input ALL of the person's details. "Thomas B" gets you all occurrences of that string of characters in the first name.

To take it to an extreme, let's say you're looking for a Zachariah Howes. The quick way of finding him is to type "Zac" into the first name box and leave the last name blank.

Similarly, typing How in the surname box will get you HOW, HOWES, HOWS and HOWSE, and HOWELLS and . . . . . . !
mardler
Site Admin

Re: Finding a person

Post by mardler »

I recommend taking a look at the Advanced Search facility, because it is even more flexible.

As of the time of writing there are 723 people called Howes with WIlliam somewhere in their first name! It's the most common first name for Howes males. Let's suppose, though, that you know that your William was born about 1883. Use the advanced search facility and use the "within 2 years of" button under birth date, and you can narrow the list down to thirty people.

You can also use advanced search to find that, again as of the time of writing, there are 26 couples in the database where a male Howes married a female Howes!