June 2013 - House it going?

Monthly updates
mardler
Site Admin

June 2013 - House it going?

Post by mardler »

Happy new month, everyone. We have a diverse monthly report, this month containing a few questions.

William Henry Howes - Australian Artist
Thanks to correspondent, Ivan, I recently came across this Aussie watercolor artist ,who lived from 1856 to 1911. Within the last few days, Ivan has sent us material on this man and his family, who seem to have originated in Ipswich in Suffolk. So we have a little updating of our files to do! We'd like to get access to some images of his work. Does anyone know how to find any?

Maureen Howes - biographer
June saw the centenary of the death of Emily Davison under the king's horse in the 1913 running of the Epsom Derby. A lady named Maureen Howes from Morpeth in Northumberland has just written a biography of Emily Davison - see http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/loc ... -1-5800563. It appears that Maureen is a genealogist but I cannot find her in our database. Does anyone know her? Please do ask her to get in touch.

Will you support our efforts?
While in the Norfolk Record Office (more below) I was approached by John Howes of Birmingham, one of our earliest supporters. He'd seen my name in the visitors' book! It was so nice to meet a fellow Howes researcher.

We arranged a subsequent meeting and during our conversation John raised the possibility of financial support for our efforts. The website does not cost a significant amount to run and my initial reaction was to say that it was very kind of him but not necessary. As we discussed further, however, there are things we would like to do with some extra funding, like purchase more certificates to answer questions we have.

John suggested perhaps a subscription. I'm happy for that but:
- I'd like people to get value for any money spent/donated
- I'd like to continue with the openness of the site, because it has been helpful in growing the number of people who know about their Howes/House/Howse/Hows ancestry.

So, my questions:
- might you be willing to support our efforts with a donation?
- how might we give you value for money while maintaining openness of the data (for example, we might show that a particular certificate was "sponsored by" yourname)
- is paypal an acceptable means of payment?
- are we thinking big enough? Should we be thinking instead about forming some kind of association to guarantee continuation of our work?

For the record:
Happy to say that this month we passed 400,000 source citations, while adding an extra 1,000 people. And if you've seen a few of these reports before you'll know that we pay attention to how many of the 24,000 Howes/House/etc marriages in England and Wales between 1837 and 1950 we know the details for. We now know both parties for 12,500 of them and the actual date and place of the marriage for over 4,500.

And, again, if you've read some of these notes before you will know about the unique microfilm records for Norwich in the Norfolk Record Office for 1904-1961 containing all the information available on a birth certificate, but for free! Well, I've now finished the work, taking an estimated 25 days and getting square eyes in the process! I found almost 1,100 such records, thus "saving" over £10,000!

I've now started working back through the death records . . .
hughar

Re: June 2013 - House it going?

Post by hughar »

Paul, a Google Image search for "William Henry Howes" (with the quotes) turns up quite a few images of his work that you can check back to the original web pages. But be careful, as there are some entries for William Henry Howe, an American artist, mixed in with them. Best wishes, Hugh Smith
mardler
Site Admin

Re: June 2013 - House it going?

Post by mardler »

Thank you, Hugh. Takes a genius to see the obvious!
Paul