Going round the HOWZEs - July 2018

mardler
Site Admin

Going round the HOWZEs - July 2018

Post by mardler »

Hello folks. As foreshadowed last week, July's newsletter is more than a little tardy. The summer is always a busy time for me with my other interest in yachting on my beloved Norfolk Broads. By the way, in case you are curious, someone once said that in most parts of the world, people muck around in boats, but in Norfolk we boat around in muck!

Consequently we didn't add our normal complement of people to the website, managing just shy of 600 people in the month.

RootsTech 2019
As you will have observed from the tardiness of this newsletter I'm not always good about planning ahead! However, a few months ago, I did get my act together and submitted three possible talks to the committee organizing RootsTech, the biggest genealogy show in the world, and submitted a request to become a RootsTech Ambassador, basically an advocate for the show, encouraging even more people to attend in Salt Lake City next February/March.

Well, I've been accepted as an Ambassador, which means you'll hear a little more from me on the topic! Regular readers will know that I have been there before and have met new and lasting friends as a result. I also take the opportunity to visit the LDS Family History Library while there and get some research in that isn't possible to do from elsewhere. Salt Lake City is a terrific place to visit. Despite its history as the center of the Mormon faith, it's becoming known too as a center of micro-brewing. I visited five brew pubs in consecutive evenings last time I was there and was impressed with the local products!

One of my proposals for presentations has been declined, but the other two, both about this Howes One-Name Study, are still in the organizers' mixing bowl. We will see how things go . . . .

HOWSEs
I just want to record that we surpassed 6,000 people named Howse in our database in July. We've been pursuing people with that name in Gloucestershire, in particular, with one of our team extending older trees in that county using wills from county and national records, and in Oxfordshire too, a friend of mine from the Guild of One-Name Studies (thank you, Stephen) has been plying me with newspaper reports from the Oxford area which have added a lot of detail to what we already knew.
A reminder too that we are just as committed to the smaller surnames in our study as we are to the Howes name. Today, in our well-educated societies we regard correct spelling as a mark of an educated person. But it's perfectly obvious that in these two counties particularly, the Howse and Howes names were virtually interchangeable in older records. Further down the Thames valley toward London, both are interchangeable with the House name too.

The good ship "M Howes"
A friend of mine visited Galway in Ireland recently and took a picture of the Sutton Light Famine Memorial. It marks a spot where passengers fleeing the Irish potato famines from 1845-1853 could see the final piece of Ireland, a nearby lighthouse, on the horizon from their ship on their way to America. The memorial contains a list of the ships that took the emigrants across the Atlantic, one of which was named M Howes as you can see from the picture below.
Ship M. Howes.jpg
Ship M. Howes.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
I did a little searching on the internet and was unable to come up with anything on this ship or how it got its name. is there anyone out there with more skills in nautical records who could do some research for us?

Lost and found - puzzle corner
I close this month with an acknowledgement of another correspondent, Janice, who has sent in some newspaper articles and a lot more too on people with our name in New Zealand. One of the articles she had found was quite short, though a nice story, concerning a Flight-Lieutenant H E Howes in England. It was reported in the NZ press in 1939 that "Five years ago Flight-Lieutenant H. E. Howes dropped his wallet while flying over Bristol, and a few days ago the wallet was found by a farm labourer while digging potatoes in a field."

Janice noted that we have several H E Howes, but none mentioning the air force.
Harold Edward Cornish Howes I136489 1915-1993 (would have been 24 yr in 1939)
Harold Ernest Howes I21785 1889-1982 (would have been 50 yr in 1939)
Harold Ernest Howes I100772 1894-? (would have been 45 yr in 1939)
Harold Ernest Howes I54575 1908-1995 (would have been 31 yr in 1939)

Can anyone figure out which H E Howes was the pilot? I'm assuming he was in the RAF, since the original loss was in 1934.
mardler
Site Admin

Re: Going round the HOWZEs - July 2018

Post by mardler »

Congratulations to correspondent David Evans who found this website, about which I had not known:
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/25119

I then looked farther on the site and found this:
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/36583.

So M stands for Mulphford, but where does that come from? A very quick look through the HOWES Genealogy book published by the Dennis Historical Society reveals no fewer than 5 people named Mulford Howes!

I think we are on the trail now. Can anyone get us to the end?
Paul
mardler
Site Admin

Post by mardler »

Thanks to correspondent Julie who pointed out that the M Howes appeared in Australia too.
http://marinersandships.com.au/1856/01/012mho.htm
Paul
mardler
Site Admin

Post by mardler »

And super thanks to correspondent, Kim, who points out that Mulford Howes was a wealthy New York shipbuilder and merchant who lived from 1788 to 1861. He had been a sea captain for 30 years and was himself the son of another Mulford Howes, also a sea captain, who had died in 1834.
So it appears that the ship the Mulford (or Mulphord) Howes may well have been built by the son and named after his father.
Paul