DNA study

Geographic categories for questions and answers
mardler
Site Admin

DNA study

Post by mardler »

If you're a male Howes, or a female with a male Howes, do consider taking a DNA test.
Go here for details on testing and discounts available: http://www.howesfamilies.com/histories/dnastudy.php
mardler
Site Admin

Someone's not so happy with DNA testing

Post by mardler »

I received this note this morning from Merv and we agreed I would post this on the site with a reply
===================================================================================
Hello Fellow Howes Members:
Just wanted to express an opinion! I recently submitted myself to the Howes Family Ancestry.com DNA testing project. I come down from a Howes Family line that immigrated to Canada from Ireland in the mid 1800's and I suspect, but am unable to prove, earlier ancestral connection with the Howes/Howse/House Families in Norfolk County, England. Perhaps, sometime I'll make the breakthrough!

I feel the DNA test was an absolute waste of time and money!!!!! It does indeed provide the names of a number of DNA test participants who have remotely similar DNA patterns and suggest common ancestors between 30 and 60 generations ago. Each of the matches present different surnames, none with Howes, Howse, Howe, House, Hough nor any of the common variations. The information for my purpose is pretty much useless; however, it suggests one of two things. Either (A) it confirms that the Irish Howes line is not connected with the Howes line (Thomas Howes) who immigrated to the colonies in the mid 1600's and whose descendents appear plentiful in the U.S. or (B) it means that not many people with the Howes surname have actually NOT gotten involved with the DNA test. Until more people get involved, the data collected will have little value.

Would I do it again? No! Data providing paternal DNA connections from the "dark ages" or the "caveman" era does not provide any significance in developing ones family tree. Absolutely of no genealogical value to me. Good luck to the others!!!
mardler
Site Admin

A reply from Paul

Post by mardler »

DNA testing is a funny business. Each one of us pays to take a test, but it's generally done on a belief: that one day, someone will come along who will match our own DNA closely enough that they can be proved to be a relative. It would be a real bonus to get a match straight away. Merv hasn't got one, but I'm not nearly as disheartened as he is.

We have over twenty people with DNA samples already in our database. There are no close matches yet, other than two US Howes cousins. That's actually telling us something: we have such diverse DNA between us that it points us away from a single geographic site as the source for our surname. The more diversity we have, however, the more difficult it is to trace individual lines.

I suspect Howes is not native to Ireland and that actually Merv's situation is similar to the Howes Family Association's: what/where is the origin of my name? What Merv has done is make a deposit in a bank. He, like the rest of us, will not know when we can make a withdrawal but it will happen, as long as we can persuade others to take the test. Hence my keenness on getting a discount to encourage others.
P