Putting our House in order - February 2023

mardler
Site Admin

Putting our House in order - February 2023

Post by mardler »

Hello everyone. We're back! First, I have to share a little of where I was and why there was no newsletter last month, for the first time in nearly 15 years. Having reached an age beginning with the number 7 last month, I went on an extended celebration, a cruise around South America. We boarded in Lima, headed South down the coast of Chile, stopping at several ports all the way down to Punta Arenas. Chile is 2,000 miles from North to South. So it took many days. The highlight of the trip was two days cruising through the Chilean fjords with their spectacular scenery, the day before getting to Punta Arenas, and the day after. Between Punta Arenas and Ushuaia (in Argentina, the Southernmost city in the world, with an amazing 90,000 residents) our cruise ship went right up to the mouth of the Garibaldi glacier and came to a dead stop just 400 yards away. Here's a gratuitous picture!
Garibaldi Glacier
Garibaldi Glacier
Garibaldi.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 630 times
After Ushuaia we were mostly at sea for a week with only a one-day stop at Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands before Buenos Aïres. Port Stanley is an amazing place, a little corner of England, with British money, British food, even old British style phone boxes! Unfortunately, it was very windy and our booked flight over the islands was cancelled.

Mrs H., being a native Welsh-speaker, had made it a condition of our trip that we visit the small Welsh-speaking community around Trelew and Gaiman, two hours by plane back down south of Buenos Aïres. The people there are very proud of their heritage and there are signs of Welshness everywhere. I was even greeted with a "Bore da" in the street! While there we visited a colony of 500,000 Magellan penguins, seeing also several herds of guanaco, a rhea and a couple of maras. While talkative, none of the penguins spoke Welsh, or Spanish!

So many memorable days in such a short period. All in all it was a trip of a lifetime. I count myself a lucky man. You can see why I abandoned genealogy for a whole month.

Our study's progress
Since I returned ten days ago, the price has had to be paid! 200 unread emails. Ten new website subscribers. Snail mail to be dealt with. Bills to be paid, etc. I'm sure you know how it is. Fortunately, my cousin, Ian, had continued to work on adding new families while I was away. Between us, we've added almost 1,000 people since the new year, finishing today at 203,664 people in our master file.
One of the highlights was receiving a note from a descendant of Thomas Howes and Mary Burr whose family is missing several generations from upstate New York in the Howes Genealogy book. It was a pleasure with her help to be able to extend Colonel Bob Howes's work still further.

RootsTech 2023
As I write this I'm sitting in the FamilySearch Library in Salt Lake City. RootsTech is just two days away. Almost 270,000 family historians from around the world have already registered for the conference, from Thurday thru Saturday this week. I encourage everyone interested in family history to do the same by going to www.rootstech.org. Rootstech is about a lot more than just building research skills, but bringing families together with the technology to help. There are sessions on family gatherings, storing family photos, even on ethnic foods!

From that page, there are links to the main stage presentations, to other live presentations and to lectures which you can start whenever you want. There are still lectures up from 2021 and 2022. So there's almost certainly something that will repay your attention.

In addition to all that, there is an extra benefit as long as you have a FamilySearch Family Tree: you can see which of your relatives are attending. Even with all-British and almost entirely Norfolk heritage, I have over 400 relatives attending. A fellow member of the Guild of One-Name Studies I was sitting with last night had 35,000!

For any relative, you can see how you are related, through a family tree, enabling you to check the research and perhaps verify what you have already done or provide lines of enquiry. And you can even send them a note. Sometimes, other people's trees aren't accurate, of course. (Ours are all OK, right?!). You can do all of this online from your PC OR via the 'Family Tree" app on your smartphone. This feature lasts until the end of March. So you don't have to do it all at once.

Harman Howes and Thomas Masters Howes
Does your Howes/Howse family hail from the Bibury, Arlington or Winson area of Gloucestershire? If so, please would you send me a note? My email is, of course, paul (at] howesfamilies (dot] com.

We are looking for a male Howes/Howse person from that line willing to take a yDNA test. Let me explain why. For many years a Howes family who lived on the island of Montserrat has wondered about their origin. Their patriarch was an Englishman named Thomas Masters Howes who, they believe, hailed from Yorkshire, perhaps a young doctor. After thorough research, we can find only one other person of the right age with that name. That other person was from Gloucestershire, son of Harman Howes, himself a surgeon. The two Thomas Masters Howes people really look like the same person but just to be sure, with our encouragement, a male descendant from the Montserrat family has taken a yDNA test. He has a tentative link to a Hows family, but we are looking for something a lot closer: a known male descendant from the Gloucestershire family. Can you help, please?

Howes in the News
- Skyler Howes - motorcyclist in Saudi Arabia
I was paying very close attention to daily reports of this year's Dakar Rally. After six stages, Skyler Howes from California was in the lead. He finally finished a very creditable third, fully justifying the Husqvarna' team's faith in him by hiring him last year. read more about his race here:
https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2023/01 ... ly-podium/
- Winston Howes - farmer - Gloucestershire
A tweet video from Reuters in mid-February sparked off another worldwide flurry of interest into the heart-shaped meadow created by Winston Howes in memory of his wife, now many years ago. You can see here an article on a website serving India with the tweet and video embedded in it.
https://www.latestly.com/socially/world ... 62243.html
- Nathan Howes - journalist - Weather channel
Interesting story he posted on the Weasther Channel website. Picture and bio of Nathan just a click away
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/en/ne ... ed-in-2022
- David Howes - gold medal skater - Winnipeg
Winner of the Canadian novice championship for men
https://skatecanada.ca/2023/02/four-tit ... pionships/

That's all, folks! Thanks for listening
Paul